These are nine questions we think it is important to ask ourselves when approaching a new project or client relationship.
The organisation and team
- What framework of understanding does the organisation hold?
- Where do the financial interests lie?
- Is the project being led by the people it will most impact?
- Does the work challenge or reinforce negative assumptions or tropes about affected groups, especially if they are underrepresented?
- Will the work leave those most affected by the issue with more or less power? Does the work benefit the already powerful? In what ways?
- How can we ensure the way we work on this project is prefigurative?
- Are there opportunities to collaborate with other creators, especially those from underrepresented groups?
- Are there ways we can share the work on this project with others to increase its impact (e.g. open source components, publishing our research etc.)
- How does this project invite us to imagine the world otherwise?